FIVE is aware of the importance of promoting and adopting animal welfare regulations and standards and is committed to implementing high standards of animal welfare management across the whole value chain by strengthening practices on management and humane treatment of animals. It aims to commit that the living environment for animals in the wild is not altered in any form (which includes activities such as deforestation, harming forest environments or aquatic life)
Currently, FIVE does not involve any revenue generation directly from any operations involving animals held in captivity. However, in anticipation of activities which may be carried out by our suppliers, we have created an animal welfare policy to implement these standards through the supply chain.
FIVE’s approach is based on the Five Freedoms of the Farm Animal Welfare Council (FAWC) formulated in 1965 that have been widely accepted as a statement of fundamental principles of animal welfare which are:
1) freedom from thirst, hunger, and malnutrition by ready access to fresh water and a diet designed to maintain full health and vigor
2) freedom from fear and distress by the assurance of conditions that avoid mental suffering
3) freedom from heat stress or physical discomfort by the provision of an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area
4) freedom from pain, injury, and disease by prevention or through rapid diagnosis and treatment and
5) freedom to express normal behavior by the provision of sufficient space, proper facilities, and company of the animal’s own kind
FIVE’s ongoing commitment is to ensure fair trade with suppliers ensuring proper animal welfare standards are followed when supplies are made to FIVE. We endeavor to cease trading with suppliers demonstrating persistent disregard for the animal welfare policy and work collaboratively with suppliers to improve animal welfare standards where our support is needed and appropriate.
We have created separate animal welfare policies for animal species which may directly be impacted by our operations. We encourage and expect all our suppliers to adhere to the base level standards and provide an assurance that the suppliers comply to the standards. Suppliers are evaluated on these standards periodically for monitoring compliance.